8:11 PM
Roses. Bouquets. Teddy bears. Heart shaped silver and pink balloons. Matching lockets. Candlelight dinners.

Valentine�s day.

Yes, its that day of the year again where all couples whoop and all singles droop. Well ok maybe not all singles. But I suppose some lonely souls out there might feel the occasional tug in the heart when they see couples cooing sweet nothings to their significant other halves.

And their tugs in the heart intensify with all the hype up of this so called special day by none other than retailers and the media. I mean, love is almost equated to materialistic pretty objects in these endless advertisements proffering their �special� v�day package. Look at the Soo Kee Brilliant Rose advert. �0.5 carat diamond� He loves me. One carat diamond� He really loves me. 2 carat diamond� He really REALLY loves me!� I mean, REALLY. Can one rare gem weigh your other half�s love for you? Will getting just one stupid diamond guarantee eternal love? (The Soo Kee advert claims Brilliant Rose diamonds represent eternal love. Whatever.)

And its not just the jewellery industry trying to make a windfall from February the fourteenth. The handphone retailers (offering matching phones at discounted prices)� the watch retailers (lovers� watches)� the clothes retailers (wearing the same tees as your other one) and even the furniture store is selling its sofa sets at half price as a Valentine�s day special. Gosh. What�s next, matching underwear as your other half? (I wouldn�t be surprised, though, if that�s already on the market.)

So my only consolation to those singles out there is that Valentine�s Day isn�t really that great as its made up to be. Behind the lovey dovey sweetie pie fa�ade of Valentine�s Day is a pack of bloodthirsty (or shd I say moneythirsty) retailers trying to push up profit margins by banking on the mood for love (I couldn�t even make my way to the library without eight pairs of hands shoving roses in my face and asking � A rose for you, miss?�). So see? Valentine�s Day isn�t any special day after all. Because if u really love ur other half, it wouldn�t matter when v�day is. Everyday would be a vday for the both of you.

i sound bitter huh?



hui @ 8:11 PM
link to post 0 comments